HIGH-LEVEL POLITICAL FORUM

Writer secretariat 24-08-29 11:25 count 60 Reply 0

Special issue 2024 hlpf.pdf (2221K)

0 Download DATE: 24-08-29 11:25

The High-Level Political Forum provides a unique platform for dialogue, innovation, and collaboration, drawing together leaders, activists, and experts from around the world. For ADA, it's not just about the policies and reports; it's the shared sense of purpose and the passionate commitment to creating a better future that truly resonates with us. We have witnessed firsthand the progress made and the challenges that remain, and each session fueled our determination to contribute even more effectively to the cause.

1. ADA has been attending HLPF since 2015
  2. Over the years we have organised multiple side events and programmes with our partner CSOs
  3. This year our Co-Chair Jay Hung and Ms Linh Phuong Nguyen, attended HLPF representing the ADA

“The evidence is clear: development is not sustainable if it is not fair and inclusive – and rising inequality hinders long-term growth.” -UN Secretary-General António Guterres

FIRST TIME IN HLPF

A First-Time Experience at the High-Level Political Forum in New York: Insights from TaiwanAID

For anyone working in international development, attending the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) in New York is a milestone. It’s a convergence point for policy-makers, civil society organizations, and experts from around the world, all focused on sustainable development. This year, I had the privilege of representing TaiwanAID and ADA and was invited by the TAP network to participate in the HLPF for the first time. Here’s a glimpse into my experience and the valuable insights I gained.

The energy of New York City is intense. It offers excitement the moment you arrive. The skyscrapers, bustling streets, and diverse culture set the stage for an event that promises to be dynamic and inspiring. The United Nations Headquarters, the venue for the HLPF, stands as a beacon of international cooperation and hope. The UN Church Center located directly opposite the United Nations is where TAP will often hold meetings in the next few days.

The High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) had held from Monday, 8 July, to Wednesday, 17 July 2024. The theme is "Reinforcing the 2030 Agenda and eradicating poverty in times of multiple crises: the effective delivery of sustainable, resilient and innovative solutions”.

This HLPF review in-depth: Goal 1. End poverty; Goal 2. End hunger; Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change; Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels; and Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development. Since TAP’s mission is “Building and fostering a community of empowered civil society actors working to advance SDG16+ at all levels, and to hold governments accountable to the SDGs more broadly”. For TAP, this high-level forum is even more important because SDG16 is set as the focus of discussion.

One of the most valuable aspects of the HLPF is the opportunity to network. Throughout the week, I met with representatives from various NGOs, government officials, and Civil society organisations. These interactions were not just about exchanging business cards but about sharing experiences, challenges, and solutions. I found that many organizations around the world, like Taiwan Aid, are grappling with similar issues and that collaboration can significantly amplify our impact.

The forum’s agenda was packed with sessions covering a wide range of topics, from climate action to gender equality. Because I have been engaged in children's development work for a long time, I am particularly interested in the children's representatives coming to the HLPF to discuss climate change issues. I witnessed four children's representatives from India, Indonesia, Australia, and the Czech Republic talking about their personal experiences. In this special forum, a young Swedish representative was also arranged to give a summary and response, inspiring my imagination of cultivating children’s representatives in the future.

While the forum was undoubtedly inspiring, it also highlighted the significant challenges we face. The impression I gained from participating in the HLPF. The overall observation of the SDGs has gradually turned from conservative optimism five years ago to pessimism in the post-epidemic era. The safety of peaceful demonstrators has not been guaranteed. Countries have enacted national security laws that violate international law. Various regulations prohibiting the receipt of foreign aid funds have formed an institutional framework that is even more unfavorable to the development of civil society. The SDGs are ambitious, and the road to achieving them is fraught with obstacles, including political resistance, funding constraints, and the ongoing impacts of climate change.

Attending the HLPF was a reminder that while the challenges are great, so too is our collective capacity to address them. Together, we can make significant strides towards a better future for all